For those of us partaking in Camp NaNo this April, we were just sorted into our “cabins.” Personally, I love the cabins – I don’t often get to converse with my fellow writers, let alone writers from all sorts of backgrounds and countries! It’s absolutely enthralling to listen to their stories and ideas.
(To anyone who doesn’t know: a cabin is a private chatroom with up to 19 other writers, assigned one week before Camp begins. But you can customize your settings to get specific campers; for example, I opted for campers in my age range. Cabins are, of course, 100% optional. But if you clicked on this post, I think it’s safe to assume that you’re at least interested in a cabin. Want to try your hand at Camp, but you haven’t signed up yet? No need to fret! It’s never too late for a cabin assignment!)
Due to a recent update to the Camp site, we now have 19 cabinmates (as opposed to the original 11). With so many people in such a small space, not to mention the fact that almost everyone is in a different timezone, it’s hard to keep up with the conversation.
So here are 20 (yes, 20!) topics to discuss in your cabin, to help you stay on top of things! I’ve sorted the ideas into two groups: writing, and off-topic. Because if I’ve learned anything about being a writer, it’s that we can’t stay focused on actual writing for more than ten minutes.
- Your favorite writing resources
- Your favorite blogs
- The best writing music
- How you use [social media] for your writing
- How you make your book covers
- Writers block solutions
- Your writing schedule (and how it conflicts with your life)
- Your writing achievements
- What’s the best story you’ve written?
- Why are you a writer?
- What’s on your desk?
- Your favorite [thing] (Examples: food, drink, TV show, movie, animal, color, city, clothing style, books, etc.)
- How you spend your free time
- All about your hometown (or home country; odds are, when you have 19 others in the chat, there will be someone who’s never been in your country!)
- Your most interesting life story
- Sum up your life in a word
- Your dream vacation
- What is the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?
- How many languages do you speak?
- Your stance on religion
Got something to add? Please, feel free! Even if you aren’t in Camp this April, I’ll add your topic ideas to the list!